Fresh Fish

If I wasn't in the job I am in now I think that I would like to train as a fishmonger and open a small fish shop on the coast selling fresh fish caught locally. I find these fish shops and market stalls fascinating places. Some of the fish are displayed whole with their remarkable colours and shapes, their brilliant designs providing an insight into how they live and eat.

Lovely fresh fish

Next to them on the chiller shelf are the amazing crustaceans, the prawns, shrimps, crabs and lobsters. Even better are the crabs and lobsters that are alive in a tank with rubber bands around them to prevent them from doing damage to the fingers of those that will in a few hours be tearing them apart to get to their succulent sweet flesh.

Of course not everyone feels the same way about seeing fish ungutted, unfilleted and uncooked. People find the thought of eating a plate of prawns, mussels, scallops or oysters completely unpalatable. To me this could easily be food from the gods; fresh, delicious and healthy.

So perhaps one day I will don that white coat and hat, lay out the mornings catch straight from the boat, pick up the filleting knife and provide the local population with beautiful food.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?